Farming: Why we do it.



First off these pictures are from Pixabay (A stock photo site.) Just so you know these aren't my animals, I wish I had a horse... I hate cattle and adore goats.  🙂

Farming: Why we do it.
Why we get up in the middle of the night to rescue a chicken being attacked by an opossum, why we get up at 3 am in the freezing cold, and blinding snow to check on a pregnant doe.
Why we spend rushed late summer evenings planting before the rain storm, why we have phone calls interrupted to save a  herd of chickens from "wild" dogs, or a lonesome buck from strangling him self in a tarp (All of these mentions are true stories.) 
Why we weather 80 mph straight line winds to milk our dairy goats, and why we spend all day (and some tears) saving a weak newborn kid. 
Why learn to give shot's to a chewed up baby goat. Why we rush out in the middle of a torrential ran storm (I'm talking wading through a foot of flood water at midnight) in the middle of the night to make sure all the animals are warm and aren't dying from hypothermia. 
 I do it because it's fulfilling, and it feels good at the end of the day to know you did something with your hands and it paid off.
I do it because God made us to work with the land. I'm draw to it and do because I was created for it.
I do it because it makes me strong. I do it because I have fallen in love with it.
I do it because the eager bright expressive eyes of the goats, and the gentle cute clucking of my hens as they follow me searching for feed. The cautious keen eyes of my roosters watching me as I gather the eggs from the nest boxes.
I do it because there is a connection to God out in the work, working with the animals He created doing the work He made me for.
It's hard to explain and put it in to words, many people don't understand why farmers, farm, why they risk everything. You don't know until you do it, until you leap and do what many people think is crazy.  We survive on laughter, and lots of prayers, and of course God's grace.
Happy Adventures!!! ~ox
~Ms. H



Comments

Popular Posts