Mercy House Short story #5

Note: This short story probably isn't as good as the others I will blame lack of writing inspiration and writer's block on that, I also will warn you this is a bit of a cliff hanger.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Matthew 25:30 

Mercy House
Ruth sat at my feet braiding a flowers into a crown. She put it on her head. “Mama! Look!” I laughed. She had become a happy, healthy child. She was much different than when Nickolia, and Abdiel had first brought her to Mercy House.
“It’s beautiful Ruth,” I said. “Can you help make bouquets now?” I asked.
Ruth jumped to her feet. “Yes ma’am.” She said sweetly. She handed me a handful of bachelors buttons. “How many are we going to make today, mama?” She asked. I counted on my fingers.
“Oh ten I suppose.” I told her.
“Ten? That’s one for each work room!” She declared. I nodded.
“Yes it is, the work rooms need more decorating don’t you think?” I asked.
Ruth nodded vigorously. I smiled. Suddenly Mathias came running up.
“Mz. Sharon! Mz. Sharon!!” He yelled.
I looked up, “Yes Mathias?” I called back.
“A new delivery!” He yelled.
I raised an eyebrow, “What type?” Mathias was now before me panting and out of breathe.
“Both actually.” He said.
“How many, who?” I asked.
“Two orphans, and Mz. Emily.” I frowned then smiled. Only two was strange. We normally had three to four orphans in a rescue delivery.
“Ah Emily, yes good she was due any day. Say Mathias who’s bring the orphans in?”
“Nickolia and Georgia.” He said matter of factually.
I frowned again, Georgia was sent on a rescue?” I asked.
Mathias nodded, “Yes ma’am there’s an infant, they needed her help.”
I nodded that made sense, but I still couldn’t believe only two. The rescue’s had been going down in number. That could mean two things; less orphans, or orphans going missing before we could find them.
I stood up basket in hand. A few flowers tumbled down my skirt. “I’ll be along in a second.”
Ruth looked up eagerly. “May I help you mama?”
I laughed “With which?” I asked.
“Either, one!” She said. Mathias was still standing at the edge of the garden listening to us talk.
“I don’t want to tell you how to raise her but, this case is not very pretty. The baby is fine but the boy.
I thought for a moment, “Ruth you can help me with Emily, but I don’t think you are ready to help with new members yet.”
Ruth nodded “Yes ma’am.” She skipped off down the path towards Mercy House. Mathias hung back but didn’t leave.
“What is really wrong Mathias?” I asked.
He frowned and shifted his weight uneasily. “We aren’t sure but we think that--” He paused a second. “We think it may be Ruth’s older brother and little sister.”
I flinched in surprise. “Brother and sister??” I whispered.
Mathias nodded.
“Well that changes things.” I said my voice still quiet.
“We aren’t positive, with out any birth certificates or identification papers we can’t say for sure.” He said trying to calm the storm building in my brain.
“Well let’s go see.” I said picking up my basket. I half walked down the path half ran.
When we reached Mercy House I could see three figures off in the distance. Georgia probably had been dispatched to go meet Nickolia. We hurried into the house and began to set up and O/O room. O/O stood for observation/operation room. Many times people brought to Mercy House were in need of basic first aid to minor surgeries.
Nickolia and Georgia entered the room Georgia was carrying the baby and Nickolia was boy. I was surprised when I saw the boy. He looked about 15 or 16. His hair was dirty blonde his eyes were closed. His arm was cocked in a weird angle. Nickolia laid him down on the observation bed and Mathias set to work cutting the shirt off of him. Nickolia motioned over to me.
I followed him over to the corner.
“What is it Nick?” I asked. I could see worry and anxiety in his eyes. He ran a hand threw his hair. “The boy I… I think he may be Ruth’s older brother. When he’s conscious I’ll try to talk to him but.” He paused. “You know you’ll have to give up Ruth if he is her brother.” My stomach did knots. I knew this well. Georgia was leaning over a bassinet waiting for me to come examine the baby.
I walked over and gently unwrapped the tiny babe. It was a girl, she couldn’t have been more than a week old. I was astonished at how good of a condition she was in. I turned and looked at Nickolia. He smiled. “The boy took care of her most of the way even with that bad arm of his.” I nodded. I tickled the babes feet, she let a strong lusty wail. I laughed well she’s healthy alright. I bathed the infant and held it or a while trying to soothe the lonesome child.
“She’ll need a wet nurse.” Nickolia said coming up behind me. I nodded
“I know.” I said. I light clicked in my head. I hurried out of the room and up to my apartment. I grabbed my practice bag and ran back down stairs. Emily was in a private maternity room. I knocked quietly on her door.
“Come in.” Came a weak voice. I opened the door Abiela was leaning over Emily helping her nurse her baby. I smiled when she looked up. She smiled then frowned and nodded at the babe in my arms.
“Oh an orphan babe.” I said simply. She nodded. I handed the child to Abiela and went to work with Emily. Both her and the babe were well. I sat in the chair beside her bed Abiela hand the baby back to me and left. I wasn’t sure how to broach the subject.
“This babe, they think may be Ruth’s sister.” I said testing the water I was treading. Emily cocked her head.
“Her sister?” She asked. I nodded.
“She needs a wet nurse poor thing, can’t be more than a week or two old.” Emily perked up.
“Do you have anyone?”
“No I sighed.” She nodded slightly
“I can’t care for her,” Emily started. “But I could nurse her.” She said.
I nodded yes. I would care for her. At least until we found parents for the trio. I left Emily to sleep.
I decided Ruth should be found.
Nickolia stopped me in the hall way of the recovery wing.
“The boy is awake Sharon, he’s talking come listen.”
I followed Nickolia to the recovery room. The boy was sitting up Georgia was helping him eat a bowl of soup.
“Nickolia, your back with Ruth’s care taker.” The boy stated simply.
I looked from the boy to Nickolia. I nodded towards the boy.
“Hello, I’m Ms. Sharon.” I said. The boy smiled a little.
“I’m Jesse.” He said. He smiled a little. “Ruth is my little sister. Thank you for keeping her safe, and caring for her.”
“Your welcome, who is this?” I lifted the bundle in my arms a little.
“I don’t know.” Jesse said. “I found her on the trail she reminded me of Ruth so I decided to care for her.”
“Would you like me to bring Ruth here?” I asked.
Jesse nodded. Nickolia left to find her. I sat down in a chair beside the bed. Welcome to Mercy House Jesse, Welcome.
~La Fin~

~Ms. H

Comments

Popular Posts